This week, owners, general managers and head coaches will gather at the NFL’s annual league mettings in Boca Raton, Florida. Each year, the group discusses several potential rule changes, and this year will be no different. Below are a look at each of the proposed rule changes for the upcoming season, as described by the NFL. For a complete breakdown of each proposed rule change, click HERE.
1. Permanently moves the line of scrimmage for Try kicks to the defensive team's 15-yard line, and allows the defense to return any missed Try.
2. Permits the offensive and defensive play callers on the coaching staffs to use the coach-to-player communication system regardless of whether they are on the field or in the coaches' booth.
3. Makes all chop blocks illegal.
4. Disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.
5. Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line.
6. To amend Rule 5, Sections 3, Articles 1 and 2 (Changes in Position) to require players to wear jersey vests with numbers appropriate for their positions.
7. To amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (Instant Replay) to provide each team with three challenges and expand reviewable plays.
8. To amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (Instant Replay) to permit a coach to challenge any official's decision except scoring plays and turnovers.
9. To amend Rule 8, Section 2, Article 1 (Intentional Grounding) to expand the definition of intentional grounding.
10. To amend Rule 14, Section 2, Article 1 (Half-distance Penalty) to add penalty yards to the distance needed to gain a First Down.
11. To amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2 (Legal Forward Pass) to prohibit quarterbacks from falling to the ground, getting up, and throwing a forward pass.
12. To amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (Coaches' Challenge) to eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two Instant Replay challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.
13. To amend Rule 16, Section 1, Articles 1, 4, 6 and 7 (Overtime procedures) to eliminate overtime periods in preseason games.
14. To amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 4 (Reviewable Plays) to subject personal foul penalties to Instant Replay review.
15. Expands the horse collar rule to include when a defender grabs the jersey at the name plate or above and pulls a runner toward the ground.
16. Makes it a foul for delay of game when a team attempts to call a timeout when it is not permitted to do so.
17. Eliminates the five-yard penalty for an eligible receiver illegally touching a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself inbounds, and makes it a loss of down.
18. Eliminates multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession.