-DeSean Jackson held another Play4Life event on Tuesday, his third since the season started. It’s a program he and his brother started to share the principles their father instilled in them as kids in order to help other children achieve their dreams. It gives them ‘Dream Playbooks’ that help them create their own individualized road maps to success, while involving parents in the process. Bucs players manage to get out in the Tampa Bay community every week, even during the season. Events usually come on their day off each week, which is each Tuesday. There is never a shortage of events to highlight each week either, whether it’s a collective event facilitated by the Buccaneers or even individual events that are spearheaded by a particular player. The thing is, too, even if it is an individual event, there are always multiple players in attendance supporting each other.
I keep tabs on all that the players are doing on their one off day a week in the Tampa Bay area, check out the latest Community Impact article for more.
-Pro Bowl voting opened yesterday. And listen, I know inevitably there are going to be people that scoff at it but it’s important to remember that Pro Bowl is meant to highlight individual performances. With the amount of offense the Bucs have had this year, plus an improved pass rush and rushing defense, there are quite a few Pro Bowl-worthy players here in Tampa Bay. Plus, why wouldn’t you want your team represented?
I’ve taken the liberty of looking up where a few Bucs stand on NFL leaderboards and listed them below in case you need ideas on who to vote for:
· Wide receiver Mike Evans ranks seventh in receiving yards with 837 on 50 receptions along with four touchdowns this season. He also ranks sixth in receiving yards per game with an average haul of 93.0 yards
· Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick owns the eighth-highest passer rating in the league with an average of 107.3. He also ranks first in the NFL in yards per attempt (9.8) and yards per completion (14.6)
· Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul has eight sacks through nine games, which puts him at eighth in the league
· Linebacker Lavonte David ranks 12th in tackles for loss with nine, but what’s notable there is that the Panthers’ Luke Kuechly is the only non-defensive lineman or pass-rushing linebacker that ranks ahead of David
· Wide receiver DeSean Jackson, who surpassed 10,000 career receiving yards this season, has the highest yards-per-reception average in the NFL among qualified receivers with 21.0 yards per catch
· Defensive tackle Gerald McCoy has 12 quarterback hits on the season so far and has been to the Pro Bowl six straight times, let’s make it seven
· Then there are the guys like the offensive linemen, who’s stats won’t really show up on any leaderboards but how are you going to say no to a guy like Ali Marpet. Throw him in there, too
Of course, there is nothing stopping you from choosing your favorite Buccaneer at every position, just because you’re a die-hard like that. Vote below.