Photos of quarterback Jameis Winston at Buccaneers Training Camp.
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers released their first official depth chart of 2015 on Tuesday, but it is still very much a work in progress.
The Buccaneers (and many other teams around the league) unveiled their initial depth charts this week simply because it is required for their upcoming preseason openers. Tampa Bay will play its first game of the year in Minnesota on Saturday evening. With half of training camp still to go and more than a month remaining before the regular season opener, the Bucs' coaching staff would probably prefer to wait a while longer before putting any position orders on paper.
In other words, the Buccaneers' first depth chart of the year should be taken with a rather large grain of salt. Still, here are a few items of note:
Photos from the Buccaneers' training camp practice on August 9th.
-Rookie Donovan Smith and second-year man Kevin Pamphile are listed as co-starters at left tackle on the team-approved chart, though there is not a way to display it as such on the Buccaneers.com depth chart. This is a good example of why the coaches aren't eager to release an early depth chart; listing these players as 1 and 2 rather than 1a and 1b might give the player listed second the indication that he had fallen behind in the battle for the starting job. Rookie Ali Marpet, the second of two second-round picks in the 2015 draft, is listed second on the depth chart at right guard, behind Garrett Gilkey.
- Louis Murphy returns from the active/NFI list just in time to take his spot behind Vincent Jackson at wide receiver. Russell Shepard occupies the second slot behind Mike Evans at the other receiver spot. Rookie Kenny Bell, a fifth-round pick who has been impressive during training camp, slots in behind Evans and Shepard.
- Jameis Winston, of course, is listed first at quarterback; Head Coach Lovie Smith actually named Winston the starter at the beginning of training camp and he has been running with the first team throughout. Besides Winston and Smith, the only rookie who is currently listed first at a position is sixth-round pick Kaelin Clay, the first choice at both punt and kickoff return. That position is not technically a starting spot, but it is a coveted job with quite a few competitors. While other rookie wideouts such as Bell, Donteea Dye and Rannell Hall have taken some reps during kick return drills, it is running back Bobby Rainey who is listed behind Clay at both spots on the depth chart.
- Rounding out the Buccaneers' 2015 draft class, fourth-round pick Kwon Alexander is in the second slot at middle linebacker behind Bruce Carter and seventh-round fullback Joey Iosefa is number two at fullback behind Jorvorskie Lane.
- Perhaps the most competitive spot in training camp this year is at safety, where at least four players with starting experience are vying for two spots. On this first depth chart, Bradley McDougald is listed first at free safety, joined by Major Wright at strong safety. Behind them, Chris Conte is in the free slot and D.J. Swearinger is in the strong slot. Conte has only practiced sparingly in camp so far due to a knee injury suffered on the first day.
- With Alexander moving into the middle, strongside starter Danny Lansanah is now followed on the depth chart by undrafted rookie Josh Keyes and 2014 midseason pickup Orie Lemon. On the weak side, entrenched starter Lavonte David is backed up by veterans Jason Williams and Khaseem Greene.
-Second-year man Austin Seferian-Jenkins gets the top spot at tight end, as expected.The Buccaneers are hoping for a breakout season from a now-healthy Seferian-Jenkins but also possess quite a bit of depth at tight end. Behind Seferian-Jenkins are veterans Brandon Myers, Luke Stocker and Tim Wright, as well as second-year player Cameron Brate. Wright returns to the Buccaneers after spending one season with the New England Patriots and hopes to reprise the surprise 54-catch season he had as an undrafted rookie in Tampa in 2013.
- The Buccaneers' coaching staff separates the potential nickel cornerbacks into a different position, which is coached by Senior Defensive Assistant Larry Marmie. However, there is not a separate listing for that position on the depth chart, so the two players who have been practicing at that spot, Leonard Johnson and Isaiah Frey, are listed behind Johnthan Banks and Mike Jenkins at one of the two cornerback slots. Alterraun Verner and Sterling Moore are listed one-two at the other cornerback spot, followed by second-year man Brandon Dixon.
QB: Jameis Winston, Mike Glennon, Seth Lobato
RB: Doug Martin, Charles Sims, Bobby Rainey, Mike James, Dominique Brown
FB: Jorvorskie Lane, Joey Iosefa, Evan Rodriguez
WR: Vincent Jackson, Louis Murphy, Robert Herron, Rannell Hall, Kaelin Clay, Donteea Dye
WR: Mike Evans, Russell Shepard, Kenny Bell, Tavarres King, Adam Humphries
LT: Donovan Smith/ Kevin Pamphile, Edawn Coughman
LG: Logan Mankins, Kadeem Edwards, Matthew Masifilo
C: Evan Smith, Jeremiah Warren, Josh Allen
RG: Garrett Gilkey, Ali Marpet, Antoine Everett
RT: Demar Dotson, Patrick Omameh, Reid Fragel
TE: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Brandon Myers, Luke Stocker, Tim Wright, Cameron Brate
LE: Jacquies Smith, T.J. Fatinikun, Jamal Young
DT: Gerald McCoy, Henry Melton, Da'Quan Bowers, Caushaud Lyons
DT: Clinton McDonald, William Gholston, Tony McDaniel, George Uko, Quayshawne Buckley, Akeem Spence
RE: George Johnson, Larry English, Lawrence Sidbury Jr., Ryan Delaire
SLB: Danny Lansanah, Josh Keyes, Orie Lemon
MLB: Bruce Carter, Kwon Alexander, Larry Dean
WLB: Lavonte David, Jason Williams, Khaseem Greene
CB: Alterraun Verner, Sterling Moore, Brandon Dixon, Jude Adjei-Barimah
CB: Johnthan Banks, Mike Jenkins, Leonard Johnson, Isaiah Frey, Al-Hajj Shabazz
SS: Major Wright, D.J. Swearinger, Kimario McFadden
FS: Bradley McDougald, Chris Conte, Keith Tandy, Chris Hackett
P: Michael Koenen, Spencer Lanning, Karl Schmitz
PK: Patrick Murray, Brandon Bogotay, Michael Koenen
KO: Michael Koenen, Patrick Murray, BrandoN Bogotay
H: Michael Koenen, Mike Glennon
LS: Andrew DePaola
KR: Kaelin Clay, Bobby Rainey
PR: Kaelin Clay, Bobby Rainey